GERINGHOFF CORN HEADS DELIVER THREE DIFFERENT CROP RESIDUE MANAGEMENT OPTIONS FOR CUSTOMER NEEDS
Posted by: Amy Speer on Aug 15, 2017 10:28:24 AM
POSTHARVEST MANAGEMENT STARTS WITH NEXT YEAR’S FIELD PREP
Any way you slice it, Geringhoff has been a company of innovation — right down to how we shred crop residue. Continuing our eight-part blog series that looks at Geringhoff’s full lineup, today’s blog focuses on the crop residue management options our corn head lineup brings to the field.
Not only did we advance the knife-roll process and introduce the first chopping head, we hold the patent on the only stalk shredding head in the industry, making us the only manufacturer to provide three stalk processing choices.
In short, we understand your many harvest challenges and appreciate the role that harvest residue plays in plant nutrition. So, here’s to turning crop residue into the next record crop (and a look at our three residue management options) …
RESIDUE MANAGEMENT — OPTION 1
The most efficient knife-to-knife design, the NorthStar processing option delivers an industry-low 1.3 hp/row thanks to two stripping rolls, each equipped with four stalk knives and four gripping bars providing eight points of contact to the stalk for positive feeding. Hydraulically adjustable deck plates strip the ear from the plant, leaving the segmented residue in the field to decompose and protect against erosion.
• High ground speeds — no matter the harvesting conditions.
• Knife-to-knife residue processing, suitable for postharvest tillage.
• The perfect mild-climate match
Each NorthStar knife is made from German alloy steel to maintain Geringhoff’s cutting edge over the competition. (Our knives are known to process effectively much longer than competitor knives.) Continuing the NorthStar’s maintenance-free theme, every Geringhoff head uses an aluminum gear box, which dissipates heat better than cast iron, while consuming less horsepower for a quieter, longer life.
RESIDUE MANAGEMENT — OPTION 2
SWINGING BLADE VERSATILITY
In 1964, we introduced the world’s first chopping head. It was a breakthrough then and continues to be a classic powerhouse now. The Horizon system option pairs the knife-to-knife process with a horizontal-swinging, double-sided blade to produce uniformly short stubble. What’s more, you can choose to chop or not simply by engaging the swinging blade, making this an even more versatile processing choice.
Why do customers love this versatile feature? Horizon provides …
• Residue preference depending on the field, year and conditions
• And adds the much-needed header versatility custom harvesters require
The Horizon SC uses the same swinging blade/knife-to-knife mechanisms but windrows the stover for other uses. Ethanol companies and cattle producers want a clean material, and that’s the quality of windrow the Horizon SC provides, while the bulk of the residue is returned to the soil as nutrients. We’ve taken a classic and made it even better, which brings us to Geringhoff’s …
RESIDUE MANAGEMENT — OPTION 3
PATENTED STALK DESTRUCTION
The Geringhoff Rota Disc residue management system features the industry’s most advanced stalk shredding capabilities. This patented vertical-blade technology slices, sizes and uniformly distributes residue 4” or less using 15 self-sharpening rotary knives — an innovation that eliminates additional time- and labor-intensive passes. In fact, the Rota Disc system only draws a mere additional 2.5 horsepower per row to complete stalk destruction — and all without having to reduce ground speed.
• Ultimate stalk destruction to advance the decomposition process
• And when we say ultimate stalk destruction, the RotaDisc emaciates the stalk residue, slcing vertically and horizontally to accelerate plant decomposition. No sharp or blunt edge is left on the stubble, eliminating the chance of tire damage.
If you’re challenged with a cool climate that slows decomposition, consider Rota Disc processing, the most powerful crop residue management system on the market. Or if you simply want to maximize the capacity of your combine, Rota Disc is the choice for you.
So, what’s your residue management need? Handle it today with innovation from Geringhoff.
Subscribe to our Blog
- Farming Technology: Mobile Apps, Precision Ag, Cloud, and Social Media
- 2018 Farm Shows | Farm Show Schedule | Geringhoff
- Harvest Equipment Maintenance | Farm Safety | Geringhoff
- Overwintering and Crop Residue Practices | Winter Crops | Geringhoff
- Grain Moisture Considerations | Grain Storage | Geringhoff